Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day




I don't always know how to describe my Dad to someone. There's nothing to compare him to. He's himself, and he's not like anyone else. As I've gotten older, I've gained a deep appreciation for that. He's a single minded man. He's not afraid to be messy: to be flawed and broken and open before God and everyone else. It makes other people uncomfortable a lot. Seeing someone who's completely out there, who's walking in the full light of God, is always uncomfortable for people who aren't. It's inspiring to me. I want to be like that. I don't want to let fear rule me. I want to be courageous enough to walk in the light all the way, and to realize that the tares and the messiness are part of that. It's beautiful to me and I admire my Dad for it. He's endured a lot of censure, criticism and rejection as a result of his willingness to be himself, no matter where he is.



He's never been too proud to admit mistakes, even to his kids. As a Papa, he's tried so hard to make sure that we always know how much he loves us. His heart is for us, and he's always behind us. Everything he is and everything about his life he's given over to God. He's laid down a lot, and has had to make very difficult decisions to walk the path God has called him to walk. It's a pretty radical example. And you know, he's not just my Papa. He's been a Papa to so many people, spiritually and emotionally. He's filled that empty space in a lot of lives; he's championed, and encouraged, and sought out the best in people who desperately needed a Papa to do it for them. My Dad may not be recognized in "legitimate" religious circles, but the impact he's had on so many individuals means a lot more to me, and I think means more to God. He may not ever be a Bill Johnson, or a Rick Joiner, and his name may never be in the history books on Earth, but I believe with absolute certainty that he is in the history books of heaven. He's going to be one of the ones that surprise you there, one of the ones that God honors. He's not perfect; he's a flawed man. But he wholeheartedly belongs to the Lord, and every intent of his heart is for Him.



I want to honor my Dad. He's been through a lot this year, and he's been tempered and refined through it, but he's also been worn and stretched. I'm so unbelieveably proud of him. I don't even have words. He's a grown man with six children (half of whom are adults) and he is still willing to grow, and humble enough to change. I wish I was more like him. I want more people to be able to see him as God sees him: to see how precious and rare he is, and how much of a blessing and treasure. My Papa is special, and I am so lucky to have him.

Leah

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!
    To know Duke is to love him. I truly believe that!
    And you, Leah, are becoming more and more every day, the woman God desires for you to be. <3
    Thanks for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete