Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Update from Jesse



As of May 5th we have been in Springfield, Ohio for one whole year. Crazy how quickly time passes. It feels like only yesterday that we first rolled into Springfield, at the time nothing like I'd imagined it. Now that I've come to know the place, it feels, in some ways, like home. In other ways, it still feels foreign. At times I even catch myself thinking as if I could hop into the car and head over to a friend's house, a friend from Washington, or go to Port Townsend and spend some time at a familiar haunt. Then I remember that it would take an airplane to achieve this. Which is doable, obviously. Micah, Leah and my mom have already visited. Someday I hope to as well.





After the passage of a year it feels sometimes like nothing much has happened. But then I look back and realize that, yes, a lot has happened. A lot of change has taken place: within us personally and also externally. Our music, for instance, has bloomed considerably. In Washington Micah and I played out rarely and then only in fifteen minute slots at open mics where our main audience were musicians waiting for their turn. Now we regularly play two hour shows where we are the main attraction. Quite a difference. Also, we have written numerous songs since moving here. I've written twenty-two. Micah's written at least six. And our style has changed considerably, Micah exchanging lead guitar for banjo and mandolin and Stephen most often playing djembe instead of the drum set.



Our songwriting has grown, as well as our audience. On May 5th, the exact one year anniversary of our move, we had the opportunity to play in front of many leaders of the church and community at the National Day of Prayer Breakfast. And on June 24th we will be opening for a popular Christian artist named Jason Gray. So, doors continue to open. In the meantime, we are hoping to record a new album this summer. Prayers are appreciated on that point.



Besides the music, there is personal growth. I think it's safe to say that all of us have grown in love and humility as the Lord continues to tear down and uproot the vines of fear and pride that have so long grown within us. Freedom is a process, however, and this one is yet to reach its climax. I myself am only scratching at the surface of the root system of fear that has for so long been a foundation in my life. A foundation that I am ready and willing to see replaced. Perfect love, after all, casts fear and there is no place for fear in the Kingdom. So, I am optimistic. Patterns of thinking are slowly coming undone. Pride and prejudice are losing their hold, as fear is revealed within me, and I am eager to move forward with the Lord.



We are all still discovering our place in this city. More and more connections are being made, especially for my dad. But for all of us, really. A couple of weeks ago Micah and I were able to go out on the streets with our new friends Tyler, Chris and J.J. We went to one of the areas with the highest crime in Springfield, a place full of prostitutes and drug addicts. You know, the kind of people Jesus would hang out with. It is too easy within the church to allow ourselves to build up walls of fear against these kinds of people. Too easy to grow comfortable within our boxes and never touch the dark places of the world. In going out that night, I realized again that these people are simply people. Broken, hurting people crying out for God. And we were able to meet them there and share, for a few hours, the love of the Father. I look forward to more of this in the weeks and months to come.


(Stephen and Tyler [not the Tyler who went out on the streets])


(Chloe and Stephen with Allyson)

Leah, Stephen and, more specifically, Chloe have gotten the opportunity of a lifetime with our new friend Hayden. Hayden is a professional horse trainer who was hired to train horses for an old man who has about fifty horses. The Lord put it on his heart to ask Chloe to help him with the task while also training her not only how to ride but also how to train horses herself. Leah and Stephen joined in to help and now even Ethan started getting lessons. They are all having a great time and Hayden has quickly become an unofficial member of the family.


(Hayden is the one in the middle.)





I think that is all for now. There is more to say, more to share, but I think I'll let my dad do it. For now, know that I love you and am thankful for you more than you know. Alone, after all, I am nothing. It is only with my brothers and sisters that I can be something to this world. Blessings and joy!


- Jesse


(Ethan's new rat V.J. aka Varo Judah)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing! It's a blessing to hear what's going on in your lives. Miss you all terribly, but holding onto and looking forward to the finacial freedom that will enables us to visit!
    Much love and blessings,
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete